Locally Owned and Operated since 1975
- We are a small, locally owned and operated company established in 1975
- We have high standards for employees–We do not use any subcontract or day labor and we do not provide our labor to other moving companies
- We are licensed and insured
- We value our employees and we are a certified member of the Orange County Living Wage program
- We mostly rely on word of mouth and repeat business for our continued success!
- We do not do out-of-state moves, however we can help with alternative and more cost efficient solutions or recommend a trusted mover who will be glad to help.
In 1975, Roland and Wendy Intrator decided to relocate from California to North Carolina. Weighing options and considering how best to deal with the expense, they settled on buying a used moving truck to conduct their own cross-country move. After they arrived in Chapel Hill, Roland continued to drive the truck around town. Soon people began asking him for help with in-town moves. It didn’t take long for Roland and Wendy to realize they had a niche to fill in this small university town. From day one, Chapel Hill Moving Company has been a family run business, striving to provide courteous, professional, personalized moving services at competitive rates.
In 2008, Ethan Smith, longtime employee and family friend of Wendy and Roland, took over the ownership of Chapel Hill Moving Company. Having grown up across the street from the Intrators, he was around the business from an early age as it was then run out of Roland and Wendy’s home. Ethan began working for the Intrators during the summers of his college years. After graduating from the University of North Carolina’s Kenan-Flagler Business School, Ethan continued to work for and learn from Roland and Wendy. With an entrepreneurial spirit, he always aspired to own his own business, and when the Intrators decided to retire, Ethan, with the support and help of his wife, Patricia, jumped at the opportunity.
In the time since, Patricia bravely embarked on another calling and has opened a K-8 school in Hillsborough and Ethan has used his hands on approach to closely manage the growth of Chapel Hill Moving Company and his team of movers as they continue to work to provide the exceptional service that Chapel Hill Moving Company is known for.